Sunday, March 24, 2013

Wonder by RJ Polacio





We're at the near beginning of reading this amazing book for young adults in my classroom, and I'm finding it difficult to read aloud. I keep wondering if I'm using the right tone, voice, pacing, rhythm to do this story justice. I'm loving how it's keeping my students on their toes, making them question themselves and the actions of others. They are digging deep into their values and morals. I love that stuff.  One of the interesting parts of the book is the teacher, Mr. Browne's, precepts (think fortune cookie statements, inspirations, quotations) that he presents to his students. I found a blogpost by the author that explains these precepts, and how their use could play itself out in a classroom. You can find the post here:

The Nerdy Bookclub - RJ Polacio post

(If you don't already read "The Nerdy Bookclub" blog, you should. It's excellent.)

I also found a teacher page on the author's website. It lists thought-provoking questions that go along with "Wonder", and it also has a compilation of all of Mr. Browne's precepts (spoiler alert):

RJ Polacio's website

I'll write more about "Wonder" when we're through. I'd love to hear from others who have read it.

2 comments:

  1. I bought this book for my son last week and just discovered your post here. Thanks for the heads up about the precepts - a great way to talk with my son about this book! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I am.

      Delete